Oh I do love it when beauty bloggers share their own little baking secrets and Lily Pebbles is one of them. She shared her sister's "Brookies" on her blog not long ago and while I think they are absolutely delicious, I didn't think my gluten sensitive friends should miss out. Like a crispy shelled , gooey centred little bundle of joy that it is, here is my take on a gluten-free version of Lily Pebble's Dairy-Free "Brookies".
Adapted from Lily Pebble's Dairy-Free Brookies
Prep time: 15 minutes + Few Hours in the fridge | Baking time: 11 minutes | Makes: Between 20-22
- 45gm Good quality Cocoa Powder (I used Valrhona brand)
- 200gm Caster (Superfine) sugar
- 60ml Rice Bran Oil (or any other regular Vegetable oil - not Olive!)
- 2 Free Range Eggs
- 1 tsp Good Vanilla Extract
- 40gm Coconut Flour or Ground Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- Icing (Confectioner's) Sugar for rolling
1. In a bowl, mix together the Cocoa, Sugar and Oil with a wooden spoon.
2. Beat in the Eggs one at a time and then also stir in the Vanilla Extract.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt. Then slowly stir into the cocoa mixture. Once combined, the end result is quite paste-like.
4. Place in fridge to firm up for a few hours.
5. When ready, preheat your oven to 180 Degrees celsius, and prepare your baking tray with baking parchment or a silicon baking sheet.
6. Pour out some Icing Sugar onto a plate, take 1 TBSP of the Brookie mixture, roll into a ball and then roll it around in the plate of icing sugar before placing it on the baking tray with about an inch space in between each Brookie dough ball.
7. Bake in the oven for 10-11 minutes. The cookies should have puffed up to show a crackle top but the inside can still be slightly wobbly and wet. Leave them to cool on the baking tray then transfer onto a wire rack.
8. GOBBLE THEM UP
Gloriously more-ish and nothing short of it's wheat-based sister, I hope you give it a try! I have yet to try replacing the sugar entirely with coconut sugar but will check back in and update if I do ... if it turns out successful!
Oh and if you are a beauty blogger lover and don't follow Lily Pebbles or Anna from the UK... umm where have you been? Go on over and click on their blogs!