I've shared a link to a recipe for this on Facebook before, but after realising how overly sweet my first attempt was, I decided an Oz/NZ measurement conversion was required... and then.... I forgot to post about it!
And so here we go, three months later, a recipe based on cups used here in Oz and NZ, but this time loosely based on a basic Donna Hay recipe and only makes one loaf!
I hope you all have a happy weekend and make someone you love a slice of this to go with a morning cuppa :) It will perfume your house with the most wonderful smell!
NUTELLA BANANA BREAD RECIPE
Makes one loaf!
- 125gm Unsalted butter (softened at room temp)
- 1 Cup Soft Brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract or half a Vanilla Bean pod's seeds scraped out
- 4 Ripe/Over ripe Bananas mashed (equivalent to 2 cups)
- 2 Eggs (free range size 7, room temp)
- 260gm (or 1 Cup) Plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp Baking Soda, sifted
- 1 tsp Baking Powder, sifted
- 1/3 cup (or 60gm) Nutella (room temp and runny)
- 1 TBSP Mount Gay rum (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 160 Degrees Celsius
2. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer, beating it till pale and creamy (about 10 minutes)
3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs and beat well to combine
4. Add the banana, rum, flour, baking powder, baking soda, stir to combine
5. Loosely fold through half of the Nutella into the banana mixture
6. Spoon the banana mixture into a 26cm x 11cm lightly greased and lined loaf tin.
7. Drizzle the remaining Nutella over the mixture in the tin and using the tip of a knife, swirl this drizzle along the top, weaving it a bit with the Banana mixture
8. Place on the middle oven shelf and bake for 60 minutes, or until cooked when tested with a skewer and the skewer comes out clean.
9. Cool in the tin for a good 15-20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Slice and serve semi-warm as is with a cuppa tea!