If you're ever in the mood for a healthy snacky snack, and fancy something home made but feeling a bit lazy, this is a recipe for you. It is literally three ingredients; Greek yoghurt, salt, & your choice of mixed herbs & spice.
Accompany this self-made cheese with some oven-baked pita bread & a drizzle of olive oil and you can serve this up to your friends and family with a big smile on your face, knowing this was so easy, but looks and tastes deeeeelish.
There's a bit of patience involved with waiting for the cheese to work its magic in the fridge overnight, but that is just the hardest part!
adapted from Everyday Gourmet
- 250ml Authentic Greek Yoghurt
- 1 tsp Maldon Salt
- Muslin Cloth
- Olive Oil to serve
- Crackers / Bread to serve
- 3 sprigs of Fresh Thyme leaves
- 3 tsp Sumac
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 3 tsp Toasted Sesame seeds
- Pinch of Maldon Salt
1. Place a sieve on the inside of a large bowl and then line it with the muslin cloth.
2. Mix the Greek yoghurt and salt together and then pour this into the muslin cloth.
3. Bring all the sides of the cloth together and then tie it up with an elastic like a ponytail!
4. Place in the fridge and refrigerate overnight, up to 2 days.
5. For the spice, place all the ingredients together into a mortar and pestle and pound to combine
6. When it's time to eat, discard the liquid that has gathered at the bottom of the bowl and spread the cheese onto a serving board or plate. Sprinkle over your mixed spices (should you choose) and drizzle a bit of olive oil (in circular motions) over top of the cheese. Serve with your favourite crunchy crackers or bread (I just toasted up some Lebanese bread in the oven (spray oil over sheets of the bread and place in a hot 160 deg Celsius oven for 2-5 minutes or until crisp, and break them up to scooping size).
I didn't grow up eating Middle Eastern or Mediterranean food, but discovering the joy of this cuisine whilst living here in Sydney has definitely created a hunger in me for more. Greece is definitely high priority on the travel list this year!
Hope you all have a fabulous weekend! It's Mother's Day this weekend for us, hope you get to spend some quality time with your lovely Mums...if not, send her a text, send her some flowers, give her a call :)