What is Muesli and what is Granola? I've never known the difference between the two, except to find that the Americans call it Granola, while us folk Down Under call it Muesli.
Whatever the case, a big ol' bowl of Granola / Muesli is the best way to quick start a day, and for most girls I know, it's also a great comforting food for late nights in at home when you can't be bothered pottering in the Kitchen :)
Since the last time I posted about Granola, I've just made my own Granola/Muesli alternating the flavours with the syrup, fruit & nut mixture, but ALWAYS toast it. The base ingredients and the ratio for the proportions always remains the same, just remember THREE of everything except for the toasted shredded coconut!
TOASTED MUESLI BASE INGREDIENTS
- 3 cups of Rolled Oats, (OR 3 cups of whatever mix grain you like, including Quinoa flakes
- 3 handfuls of Pumpkin seeds
- 3 handfuls of Raw Pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup Toasted Shredded Coconut
- 3 TBSP Syrup - (Either: Rice Malt, Golden, Agave Nectar, Honey, Apple or Maple)
- 2-3 TBSP Oil - (Either: Rice Bran, Olive, or Virgin Coconut)
- 3 handfuls of dried fruit - any dried fruit you fancy!
- Sprinkle over a couple of tsps of Cinnamon before toasting if you like too!
- Puffed Corn / Puffed Quinoa is also a nice addition (toss this in after toasting)
For the past year, I've just been rotating around different flavours depending what we're feeling like.
The ingredients used for the Muesli in this post includes:
- Rolled Oats,
- Pepita seeds
- Pistachio nuts
- 1/2 Toasted Shredded Coconut
- 2 TBSP Rice Malt : 1 TBSP Apple Syrup,
- Olive Oil, and
- 3 handfuls of a mixture of dried Cranberries, Goji berries, Freeze dried Strawberries & Raisins
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius and prepare a baking tray with a line of waxed baking paper
2. Mix all your base ingredients except for the dried fruit and toasted coconut in a large bowl, and then when all the ingredients are evenly coated, using a spatula, spoon and flatten out this mixture on a baking tray
3. Place in the oven to toast for 20-30 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
4. Stir the mixture half way through cooking time to ensure even toasting.
5. Once lightly golden pull out of the oven, ensure the muesli mix is dry, pour the muesli mix into a separate dry bowl and toss through your dried fruit or puffed cereal. Leave to cool.
6. Eat with you favourite milky accompaniment, be it Almond Milk, Skim Milk, Soy, whatever.
And store the rest in an Airtight Jar/Container for up to 2 weeks!
We had the best time at the Whitsundays, and although we missed out on the day tours out to the other Whitsunday islands, we managed to switch off from work (big tick!), relax, eat, drink, squeeze in a bit of fitness, great movie and book time, learned to paddle board, gained a bit of a summery tan and spent great time with close friends. The 10 days off work felt long and glorious. Yes Yes, let's do it again ...and again... next time at this place? yes please!