Lately, I've become really interested in 'super foods' and wellness eating, and the best way to start, with the summer months on arrival, is to jazz up the good old salad.
Salads in my mind should contain 5 key things; A good base, a key flavour, some form of crunch, some form of protein to fill you up, and obviously some sort of visual appeal to make you want to eat it all up! All these 5 things apply to salads of any form, full vegetarian or not!
Anatomy of a delish salad I
As long as you the have five key things I listed above, you are sorted for a guaranteed delish salad! In this salad there was:
- BASE - Mixed Baby Lettuce & Baby Kale
- KEY FLAVOUR - Grilled Peaches & Honey Chilli dressing
- CRUNCH - Toasted (crushed) Pistachios
- PROTEIN - Goat Cheese
- VISUAL - Red Garnet micro herb
The dressing should have a bit of tang and a bit of depth. A combined flavour that complements the key flavour of the salad itself. The dressing to coat is super easy! Just:
- Mix together equal parts (in this case I used a teaspoon) of warmed Manuka Honey & Olive oil.
- Mix in a quarter of a fresh long red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- Whisk altogether with a squeeze of fresh lemon
You may have seen me post a pic of this salad on instagram, and while Jase doesn't really like unusual combinations like peaches and cheese, he actually enjoyed it because of the complementing flavours of honey, chilli and lemon (sweet, hot and sour) that enveloped the salad.