Whilst flicking through the latest Donna Hay magazine I spotted a recipe for Caramel popcorn... oh but not your run-of-the-mill Caramel popcorn...Caramel BACON & CASHEWS popcorn. Perfect for munching on whilst playing indoors or rugged up and watching a movie. I personally favour buttered popcorn when its movie time (that, and a frozen coke mmm!), but the hubster has a sweet tooth and a particular penchant for caramel corn. Donna's salty but sweet option makes a perfect naughty match made in heaven.
Manuka Caramel Popcorn recipe
adapted from Donna Hay Magazine Issue 69
- 1.5 Rice Bran Oil
- 1/2 Cup Popcorn kernels
- 40gm Unsaled butter
- 80gm Manuka honey
- 55gm Brown Sugar
- 75gm Caster (superfine) Sugar
- 1/2 Cup unsalted cashews, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- Fleur de Sel or Sea salt flakes for sprinkling
- 100gm Finely chopped strippy bacon, rind removed (optional)
1. Lay out a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray.
2. If you want to have candied bacon. Heat a small teaspoon of oil in frying pan over high heat and cook the bacon until very crispy. Drain on absorbent paper towel and set aside
3. Heat up the remaining oil in a large heavy saucepan, add the popcorn kernels and cover with a tight fitting lid. Shake the pan until kernels start to pop (around 4 minutes). Once kernel popping becomes less frequent and you can see the pan is pretty much full, remove from the heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl
4. Place the butter, honey, brown and caster sugar in a small saucepan over low heat and cook until butter is melted (stirring lightly). The increase heat to medium and bring the mixture to the boil for 3-4 minutes or until golden and thickened.
5. Add the cashews (and bacon), remove from the heat, add the baking soda and stir to combine.
6. Quickly pour the cashew bacon mixture over the popcorn and mix to combine.
7. Spoon the caramel popcorn onto your prepared baking tray, sprinkle with salt and let it stand until the caramel is set
Serves 2-4 .... or maybe just 1 hungry husband :)
Instead of regular honey, I used NZ Manuka honey...Arataki brand in fact (all you kiwis know where it's at!), and this flavoured the popcorn with a familiar taste of home :)