Every time Mr Lee and I walk down the cereal aisle of the supermarket, I always pull a face and prefer to just trust good ol' Hi-Bran Weetbix or go off and get some nice dark rye bread for morning vegemite & butter toasts. When the boxed breakfast varieties look un-enticing, the classics are always the best for workday breakfasts, quick and easy. Fancy boxed cereal these days seem a bit blah and not as wholesome as I would prefer. Toasting your own cereal however is easy as pie and much MUCH better than the run of the mill store-bought variety.
Homemade Honey & Quinoa Granola
- 3 tbsp Maple syrup, 5 tbsp NZ Manuka honey (I used a mixture of Active UMF5+ Manuka and Arataki honey), 3 tbsp Rice Bran Oil (you can use Peanut or Sunflower, I just used Rice Bran for the vitamins!). Combine these liquids in a saucepan over a low-heat until just mixed through to a beautiful golden emulsion.
- 150gm Tri-coloured Organic Quinoa
- 480gm Rolled Oats
- 120gm White Sesame Seeds
- 150gm Raw Cashew nuts
- 200gm Raw Almonds
- 250gm Apple Sauce
- 2tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 280gm Raisins
- Preheat oven to bake at 160 degrees Celsius
- Mix all ingredients, except the raisins, together and divide the mixture among two baking trays. Spread out the mixture to a nice even flat layer with a few loose clumps here and there.
- Place in the oven to bake for 1 hour or so.
- Halfway through toasting, turn the mixture over. You're aiming for a golden brown, not too toasty brown. Remember the granola mixture still keeps cooking a lil when you take it out of the oven.
- Once golden and toasty, take out of the oven and leave to cool. Later, mix in the raisins. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.